Articles in this section
- Help! My automatic posts aren't being published automatically
- How can I automatically schedule a video?
- How can I schedule posts for multiple social profiles at the same time?
- I keep getting an automatic publishing error!
- Everything you need to know about validating your automatic posts through the app
- Can I tag a user or a location in my scheduled post for Instagram?
- How can I disable the notifications asking me to validate my auto-post?
- How to schedule an automatic post
- Which media can I post directly to Instagram with automatic posting?
- How can I stop automatic posting to Instagram?
- I'm getting an error message while trying to schedule a media for auto-posting, what does this mean?
- How can I schedule a Facebook post?
- Scheduler Error Codes
How to schedule an automatic post
Iconosquare offers automatic posting for your single-image posts and videos* once you've enabled these permissions.
Please note, you must be an Admin or Editor of the Facebook page linked to your Instagram business profile in order to do this.
To enable automatic posting, follow these 3 simple steps:
1.) Navigate to the Scheduler section of Iconosquare here.
2.) Click the blue link "Unlock auto-publishing".
3.) Authorize Iconosquare's access to the Facebook permission 'Create post in your Instagram account'
Here's a gif of the process!
To schedule an automatic post, follow these steps:
- Click on 'New Post' and select 'Photo or video'
- Upload or select a single image from your Media Library (the image must follow, or later be cropped to, the specs which you'll find below)
- Crop the image if needed and add your caption & hashtags as normal.
- Add a geolocation and tag the people or brands in your photo by clicking on the media. Make sure you use their exact Instagram handle - if you type a handle name which does not exist, the post will fail to auto-post. Please also be sure to tag public accounts only - if you tag a private account, you will see an error message advising you that the post will not be posted automatically.
- If you have the post validation security measure switched on, you'll need to validate your automatic post through the app to ensure it posts automatically. You can find more information about that here.
- As long as the blue 'Automatically post to Instagram' box is ticked & your image fits all the specs, your media will be posted automatically to Instagram.
You can always check which of your posts in the calendar will post automatically by seeing which of them have the little lightning bolt icon next to the thumbnail. If your post appears like this, it's good to go!
*Images must follow these specifications:
Maximum file size: 8MB
File type: JPEG
Must be within a 4:5 to 1.91:1 aspect ratio range
Minimum resolution: 150x150 (lower resolutions will be scaled up to the minimum)
Maximum resolution: 1920x1080 (higher resolutions will be scaled down to the maximum)
*Videos only eligible for auto-posting on the PRO, ADVANCED and AGENCY plans, and must follow these specifications:
Container: MOV or MP4 (MPEG-4 Part 14), no edit lists, moov atom at the front of the file.
Audio codec: AAC, 48khz sample rate maximum, 1 or 2 channels (mono or stereo).
Video codec: HEVC or H264, progressive scan, closed GOP, 4:2:0 chroma subsampling.
Frame rate: 23-60 FPS.
Maximum columns (horizontal pixels): 1920
Minimum aspect ratio [cols / rows]: 4 / 5
Maximum aspect ratio [cols / rows]: 16 / 9
Bitrate: VBR, 5Mbps maximum
Duration: 60 seconds maximum, 3 seconds minimum
File size: 100MB maximum
What if I want to schedule a post that doesn't follow the above specs?
That's easy! You can still schedule media through our scheduler as you did before. We'll send you a notification when it's time to post. For push notification posts, our scheduler accepts photos up to 15MB and videos up to 150MB! Click here to watch our tutorial about notification posting!
This handy flowchart will also help to explain whether your posts will post automatically or not:
Which plans include automatic posting?
All Iconosquare plans can benefit from automatic posting for single image media.
For video auto-posting, this is available for PRO, ADVANCED and AGENCY plans and trials only. Find out more here!
I scheduled media before you released automatic posting, will these post automatically?
No. Media scheduled before automatic posting was enabled won't be posted automatically. They will still require post confirmation on Instagram.
Can I schedule an automatic post through the Android/iOS apps?
You can now schedule automatic posts through the Android and iOS apps. Please make sure you downloaded the latest version of our app.
How can I disable the automatic posting for a given post?
Even if you enabled the automatic posting, you can still disable it for a given post by unchecking the checkbox "Post automatically to Instagram" on the scheduler popin, before scheduling your post:
Which Facebook Page roles can authorize automatic posting?
You must be an Admin or Editor of the Facebook page.
I have a Creator Account on Instagram - can I still schedule auto-posts?
No, auto-posting is unfortunately not available for Instagram Creator Accounts. Read more about this here.
NB: When scheduling automatic posts one after the other please make sure that there is at least a 5 minute interval between posts. Otherwise the images may post out of the order that you had envisaged.
Looking for more information?